City 3 – 0 Fulham

Now what better birthday treat could one offer her newly retired mum but to drag her out into the snow to watch an evening football match? ๐Ÿ˜‰ As mum and I left Chester (adding an extra half an hour to my usual overly cautious travel time – i.e we left 2.5 hours instead of 2 hours, before kick off!) it was just very wet but as we reached the outskirts of Manchester we started to see some light snow on the ground. As we got into Manchester itself the snow was thicker but not troublesome and though the car park at the stadium was covered in a few inches of snow, I had no trouble parking in my usual spot. Although I was slightly concerned about getting out afterwards, we decided there would be people around of whom to ask help if we needed so we were happy to relax and enjoy the evening. (It was a 5.30pm KO) After togging ourselves up like the Michelin man to keep warm, we went and had a cup of tea in City Square before going in to our seats. (We were using friends’ tickets and were sitting in the same great seats as I’d used when I’d brought my friend back in October.)

It wasn’t actually as cold inside the ground as we’d thought, though we were glad we’d dressed warmly (I was even trying out the heated insoles I had been given at Christmas and they were brilliant. I’d definitely use them again as my feet were saved from being lumps of ice.)

When the match started, the pitch was clear of any snow, though there was a small pile at the ends where ground staff had cleared it. The game started brightly and we couldn’t believe it when very early on we were awarded a penalty – I said to mum that I wasn’t convinced but as it was at the other end I wasn’t entirely sure of what had happened and therefore if it was merited. Aguero converted it and we were 1-0 up ๐Ÿ™‚ Less than half an hour later, we were 2-0 up after an o.g and only just after that, we had a penalty shout turned down – we felt it was far more of a penalty than the one awarded earlier from where we stood and catching up on reports later, it seems we were right. Although it seemed that Micah was bombing forward less (maybe to stay and offer support to Savic?) we still had more chances with Dzeko, Aguero and Silva looking good despite the cold. 2-0 at half time which was good enough for us ๐Ÿ™‚

In the second half the snow REALLY came down! It was a blizzard and as the markings on the pitch became more and more covered over we wondered if the ref might call the match off ๐Ÿ™ Happily this didn’t happen and our fantastic grounds staff rose to the challenge and picked their times well to nip on and shovel snow off the lines – to the cheers and encouragement of the crowd who were enjoying the fun of a game in the snow. (It was all rather magical it has to be said, and certainly added to the occasion.) The game continued to be played at a decent pace and surprisingly the players of both teams slipped very little on the snowy pitch – though their poor legs did look a bit red ๐Ÿ˜‰ The ref appeared to be regretting the penalty he had given us earlier as he was giving every single decision to Fulham – I am starting to get fed up of playing 12 men every game now. Micah started to make some decent runs forward in this half though the only goal of the half came from Aguero who thoroughly earned his MOtM award. 3-0 after 90 minutes but we knew there would be a fair bit of added time after the stoppages to clear the pitch of snow – 5 minutes! This prompted cheerful chants of “We want to go home…we want to go ho-ome… it’s F*ing freezing…we want to go home..” ๐Ÿ˜€ However, after the added time it remained 3-0 and it was a great win for us, a fun afternoon (and mum has now done the Poznan ๐Ÿ™‚ ) and we were delighted we’d come.

Quite a few fans hadn’t made it and given the weather this was understandable, but the media apparently made much of it claiming City fans are not interested! Unbelievable – the game was a sell out but the weather prevented many from coming. I despair of the intelligence of the media at times. As for me – my last live game had been two months ago so I was just so pleased to be there again as I’d missed it badly. Watching on TV or the net is just not the same at all.

We had to meet someone briefly afterwards to get my season ticket back from the person who’d had use of it and then we walked back to the car, admiring the solidly frozen canal as walked over the bridge.

Thankfully the snow in the car park was all fresh, powdery stuff and we had no trouble brushing it off the car and away from the wheels and after a picnic and hot drink waiting for traffic to clear, we got away without a hitch.

MCFC’s 60 second highlights here.
MCFC’s extended highlights here.

Kippax Blue’s photos here.

%d bloggers like this: